How to Make the Best of Winter

Make the Best of Winter

Each season brings positives and negatives, but according to a recent Gallup poll, only 11% of Americans list winter as their favorite time of year. While the winter months bring the holidays, twinkle lights, parties, and presents, winter also brings cold weather and shorter, darker days — a bit of a bummer for the other 89%. It’s easy to see the glass as half empty, but why not embrace the darkness?

By welcoming winter with open arms and maintaining a positive attitude, we can stave off those pesky winter blues. Brush off that Grinch attitude and see the bright side of nature’s darkest season.

Snuggle Up, Buttercup

Instead of thinking of winter as cold, think of it as cozy. The weather outside is what makes our throw blankets feel softer, our couch feel more comfortable, and our bedroom feel more inviting. Winter is the ultimate excuse to hibernate: laze around in your bathrobe, sip chamomile tea, and curl up under a warm blanket.

When you think about it, winter is just as romantic as spring, the season that gets all the romance glory. Candlelight and red wine are more appropriate in the winter. Activities like snuggling up and watching a movie or dining in a warm, cozy restaurant are practically a given during the colder months. Winter brings us closer.

Indulge in a Little Comfort

If you found yourself saying, “It’s too hot to eat…” at any point last summer, now is your time to take advantage. Make it a point to indulge in all the warm ooey gooey, steaming hot comfort food that you can’t fully enjoy during the warmer months. Bowls of ramen piled high with noodles and thinly sliced pork. Molten chocolate cake and bread pudding on the dessert menu. Baked ziti, spicy samosas, mac n’ cheese.

We understand that many people choose to do a healthy “reset” in January… but winter is long. Before that hot humid weather rolls back around, be sure to treat yourself to a delicious meal that warms you right down to your soul.

The Most Creative Time of Year

Winter drives us indoors, making it the best time of year to start that hobby you’ve been putting off: learn French, make homemade pasta, or learn how to knit. In the warmer months we almost feel guilty when we spend time indoors. During the winter, we can stay at home and learn to watercolor in the comfort of our living room without shame.

Remember, being creative doesn’t have to be a solitary activity. If you find winter to be a lonely time of year, you’re not alone. Or at least you don’t have to be. Start a book club, crafting meet-up, or learn to knit with a friend. Surrounding yourself with good people and good conversation makes any dark day brighter.

Apres Ski Classic Flannel Pajama Set by PJ Salvage

Apres Ski Classic Flannel Pajama Set by PJ Salvage

Read Yourself a Bedtime Story

“Summer reads” have their place, but why not make your way through some winter reads too?  Because it gets darker earlier, most people tend to go to bed earlier in the winter months. The cold weather makes us eager to jump into our flannel pajamas and put our feet up. Pick a book and get into the habit of reading a chapter each night before you go to bed. Not only is reading before bed great exercise for the mind, some studies have suggested that reading before bed also helps you get to sleep faster and stay asleep longer. Once you get into the groove, you’ll be surprised how many books you get through by spring. Far more than you’d ever knock out in a weekend at the beach!

An Excuse to Sleep In

Here’s the absolute best part about winter: it stays dark longer. What’s that? You thought the darkness was a negative? Think of the darkness as nature’s blackout curtain. A later sunrise means that this is the best time of year to comfortably sleep in. It’s as if nature is saying, “Go ahead, take a break. You deserve it.” Sleep in on the weekend and enjoy long, lazy mornings warm in your pajamas just because you can. Soak up the comfort of your warm, cozy bed like you would rays at the beach.

We hope you make the most of the remaining winter months, whether you’re hitting the slopes or hitting the couch with a good book. For more ideas for family fun this season, check out The Pajama Company Blog at thepajamacompany.com/blog.

Share On Facebook
Share On Twitter
Share On Google Plus
Share On Pinterest

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *