by Amanda Palmer, The Pajama Company Editor
I love the rain, the sound of it hitting the windows or roof and the distant sound of thunder. It’s wonderful sound makes for a nice sleepy weekend.
Not everyone in my house likes the rain. My kids rather be outside playing so when we have weekends like this I think about all the fun inside things they can do. I call it Palmer Family Fun Day!
I made a great list of Rainy Day Activities you can do and I also have a fun recipe that you can either make as a dessert or lunch depending on the ingredients you use.
1. Board Games – Nothing like pulling out board games and playing all your family favorites.
2. Scavenger Hunt – As mentioned in White Valentine’s Day & President’s Day Weekend you can use this scavenger hunt for days like these as well.
3. Sock Puppet Theater – Make your own puppets with socks you cannot find the mate to and then have a puppet show. There are so many different items you can glue on to a sock to make it look like any animal or character you choose. I also keep a kit of googly eyes, pipe cleaners and bits of yarn and fabric on hand for days like these.
4. Peanut Butter/Chocolate Hazelnut Spread Modeling Clay – Yes this is the modeling clay kids can eat. All you have to do is mix 1 cup of Peanut butter/chocolate hazelnut spread, 2 cups confectioners sugar, 1/2 cup of honey and you have edible modeling clay. Of course you can portion it and color it for even more fun.
5. Magazine Collage – This is a great fun way to recycle your old magazines. Give the kids a pair of scissors, a piece of construction paper, a little glue and a topic like (show me the things you like to do on a sunny day) and let the imagination go.
6. Blanket and Pillow Fort – Take blankets and pillows and use coffee tables and chairs to make an ultra cool fort. I love doing this one and then “camping out” in the living room while we watch a movie. This is a good one to get the little ones settled down to take a nap.
7. Dance Party – Play music and dance with your kids, this is fun to watch the little ones move to the music in their own special way.
8. Sock “Snowball” Fight – This one my mother started with us. Pair some socks (the kids can help) and then simply have a snowball fight with the socks.
9. Decorate Shower Curtain – Purchase a clear/white shower curtain and permanent markers and let the kids design thier own shower curtain.
10. Read & Draw – Read a story and then give the kids markers and paper and have them draw a unique ending to the story they just heard.
There you have it, 10 fun and interesting things to do so the kids won’t say the dreaded words “I’m bored”!
There is one more thing I am going to give you to do with your kids and that is cook. Nothing better than some comfort food on a rainy day. The best part this is a semi homemade recipe and depending on the ingredients you choose it can be sweet or savory…or you can do both and have real fun!
Pull Apart Pizza or Cinnamon Bread (You decide)
2 cans of refrigerated biscuit dough
1 Jar Pizza Sauce
2 cups of Mozzarella Cheese
1 cup Parmesan Cheese
1 package of Pepperoni
1 tablespoon olive oil or cooking spray
2 cans of refrigerated Biscuit Dough
1/2 cup granulated Sugar
1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1 cup Brown Sugar
3/4 cup melted Butter
Oil Bundt pan with oil or cooking spray and layer ingredients well, cook in 325 degree oven for 47 -52 minutes or until golden brown and not doughy any longer.
I hope I have given you a good list of things to do with your children on a rainy pajama day. The best part is you can do this on days that aren’t rainy and make every day a….