Maybe you would never have considered pajamas as a holiday money saving opportunity…but this holiday season, that is exactly what everyone’s favorite sleepwear is turning out to be. The popularity of pajamas as gifts is climbing, especially with the rising costs of heating and clothing. Many families are lowering the thermostat this winter, resulting in parents and children bundling up at night. As for daily wear, teens and tweens are wearing pajama pants as daywear. (And of course, we at The Pajama Company, love that!)
Many families aren’t able to afford purchasing those “just for fun” gifts, so they are turning to pajamas to fit that need. The wide variety of styles and designs available practically ensure that parents can find pajamas that reflect the personalities and interests of their kids.
In addition to pajamas being a popular item this holiday season, pajama-centric activities are also seeing an increase. Instead of traveling this year, or putting expense into extravagant decorations and meals, families are spending time getting into their pajamas to bake cookies, cakes and other holiday treats.
Parents and kids are donning pajamas for family DVD nights, for family bedtime story nights, for game nights. We love “Pajama” nights. Some popcorn, pizza, warm apple cider and classic holiday movies can make a perfect evening at home. Pajamas are turning into this year’s big holiday money saver and fun maker…who knew?
For many families, Christmas Pajamas is well…just part of Christmas. A lovely tradition. For some it’s Christmas Eve, for some it’s Christmas morning. Matching pajamas for the family make everyone smile. Who doesn’t love seeing Dad in footies? We love the Christmas Eve pajamas because everyone can jump into bed in warm new pj’s, all snugly, anticipating Christmas morning. But, is there a time, maybe sooner on the calender than Christmas Eve when Christmas pajamas might just be a wonderful and unexpected treat? We think yes. Remember the classic song from Mame, “We Need A Little Christmas…Right This Very Minute”! Consider breaking tradition this year and surprise everyone with Christmas pajamas now or if you must wait consider some of these suggestions of when to give pajamas this year:
- On Thanksgiving Day
- On the Day After Thanksgiving (considered to be the beginning of the Christmas Season)
- On the Day of the first Snow of Winter
- On the day you decorate the home for Christmas
- On the day you make those first Christmas Cookies
- On the day you wrap presents
- On the day you take the Christmas card photo (and make it a pajama photo!)
- 12 Days before Christmas
- On December the 1st
- On the day the Christmas Tree is Decorated
- On Saint Nicholas Day (usually December 6th)
The gift of pajamas for Christmas is a wonderful tradition for many. Is it one for your family? This is the perfect time to begin. Kids love to see their parents and grandparents wearing pajamas. It’s just happy.
Well, today there is a chill in the air and most of the leaves have now fallen. There’s no stopping what’s coming…winter. For me, the best way to deal with it is to just settle into a new pair of wonderful flannel pajamas. Today I’m loving our newest PJ Salvage pajama “Love Bus” filled with cheerful VW’s from a day gone by. Pajamas are perfect for putting a smile on any face and these, today, just do the trick! Unlike that pair of skinny jeans, pajamas are roomy, pajamas just fit and fit every time. I love to put pajamas on and do a twirl in front of the mirror. Everyone looks like a model in pajamas. So check these out and share your secrets for coping with the November chill in the air.
My New Favorite Pajama
Halloween is the perfect time for a spooky sleepover. With decorations available everywhere it’s easy to go all out inside and out. Put pumpkins outside your door and fake spider webs inside with all the creepy decorations you love. Be sure to add the spooky sound effects with a Halloween CD or download. Halloween party food ideas are easy to find all over the internet. We love the Ghoulish Halloween treats found here, including chicken “fingers”, “night eyes”, “eyeball assortment”, “bat wings” and “mad scientists”. Make your party complete with some perfect games. Here are a few ideas:
- Pass The Pumpkin (Perfect for younger kids) This musical chairs type game involves passing small pumpkins and gourds and when the music stops the person without a pumpkin is out. Play until there is a winner. Kids sit in a circle and you hand out one less pumpkin then children in the group. Then instruct the children to start passing the pumpkins when the music begins to play and continue passing until the music stops. Once the music stops the child without a pumpkin is out of the game. Now remove a pumpkin from the group and restart the music. This pattern continues until you have one pumpkin with one winner.
- Worm Bobbing Each player is given a bowl with 6-8 worms all mixed up (should be same amount for each person) in the whipped cream. The worms can be gummy worms of course! Then with their hands behind their back they must bob with their heads into the bowl of whipped cream and pull out the worms and place them on the plate. The first one to finish wins. Blindfolds make it even more of a challenge.
- Scary Stories is always a classic. Everyone sits in a circle in a darkened room, each holding a flashlight. One player starts the game by saying “Once there was….” and goes on to say one or two sentences. The next player continues the story with another sentence or two. Once everyone has added to the story one person in the circle can end it. The scarier the better!
- Spider Web requires only a ball of black yarn. Everyone stands or sits in a circle. One person starts with a ball of black yarn and begins by holding the end piece and throwing the ball across the circle. The person who catches the ball must say a halloween word, grab a bit of the yarn and then throw the ball across the circle. Continue until the ball is nearly finished and a huge web is created.
- Mummy Wrap is always fun. Teams are split into pairs with one person being the mummy and the other being the wrapper. Each team gets one or two rolls of toilet paper. When the game begins, the wrapper begins wrapping the mummy with toilet paper circling around and around covering as much as possible. The best mummy wins!
- Memory Game is a fun twist on a popular game. Find about 20 different Halloween items. We love the bowl of cold spaghetti, rubber bats, ping pong ball eyeballs, skulls and more. Place everything on a tray and cover with a cloth. Each player gets a paper and pencil and has 60 seconds to look at all the items before they are covered. Because it’s a memory game each player then has to remember what spooky items were on the tray and write them down. Of course, the one with the best memory wins!
- Monster Mash Freeze Dance is so much fun for kids and adults. Put on this classic song full volume and have everyone dance, dance, dance but when the music stops everyone must freeze. Whoever moves is eliminated. The last one dancing is the winner.
- Witch Hunt involves picking up a bunch of cheap witches hat from your local discount store. Hide them in random places around your house or yard. Have your guests run around finding them and the one who finds the most wins.
- Worst Makeover Ever rewards the most disasterous makeover. Divide your guests into teams and give each team a bag of makeup. They are told to do the worst makeover ever. Everyone votes on the biggest makeover disaster.
When everyone is settled in comfy pajamas choose one of these spooky movie classics keeping in mind what is best for the age group.
- Hocus Pocus
- Nightmare Before Christmas
- Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory
- The Blob
- Rosemary’s Baby
- Nightmare on Elm Street
Tell us which horror classic films we missed and any other recommendations for a perfect kids sleepover.
Well, I guess we had better grin and bear it. There is a chill in the air. It’s that time of year to switch from pajamas with flip flops to pajamas with uggs or socks or slippers. It’s that time of year when pajamas feel cozy and warm and just right. Somehow pajamas just seem perfect for the newspaper and a glass of wine, facebook and a coffee, TV and munchies, DVD and popcorn, twitter and any of the above! It’s fall. It’s here and we will somehow cope. Images of a roaring fire, a blanket, pajamas, that book we meant to read all summer, the movie we can’t believe we never watched (and all our buds are talking about it..embarrassing!) , a warm mug of something wonderful, and of course fabulous pajamas fill our heads tonight. How sweet that pajamas can just make the world a better place. All is good.
Calling all dog lovers. We have the perfect pajama just for you today. Surround yourself with dogs, dogs, dogs in our pajamas. Comfy 100% cotton flannel in that slightly oversized fit we all love. We call it the “Boyfriend” fit. We think you will love PJ Salvage pajamas because they are comfy just as pjs should be with beautiful fabric and a great fit.
Sometimes Pajamas are just plain fun and that’s what we think about our four new pj pants from Be As You Are. We love the mantra to “Be Yourself” and express your own individuality. We do that everyday here at The Pajama Company! Be As You Are is known for their Sleep Pants, Tee Shirts and gifts filled with personality. They call themselves the company with “Fun & Funky Stuff” which is so so true. Hope you like their goodies as much as we do and you’ll also love the price! (The newest sleep pants are a cool $28 and the collection of fabulous tees are a cool $24) We discovered in our serious reading of summer gossip mags that Kenny Chesney is a Be As You Are fan, he was seen in People magazine rockin’ the Be As You Are logo baseball cap.
Here at The Pajama Company we love our great selection of pajamas for men, women and kids and think our models are simply fabulous. But today it’s all about Dogs in Pajamas…check out our “Super” models.
By Ellie Badanes
Life in pajamas pretty much says it all. I admit it, I live and work in pajamas and I have the best excuse of all for this good habit. My business is pajamas. Hopefully you have visited my pajama world www.ThePajamaCompany.com filled with fabulous pajamas and other related goodies. Actually it is wonderful to work in pajamas whatever your work might be. Of course Entrepreneurs and bloggers are famous for working in pajamas.
I don’t know about you but I have always done my best work in pajamas, even before my pajama business days. Everything is just a little less stressful in pajamas. The world in a little happier in pajamas. Books are more enjoyable, coffee tastes bolder, tea is more piping, diet coke is colder and snappier, magazines are more glossy, sit coms are funnier, couches are more comfy. Pajamas can just bring out that bit of fun in kids as well as adults. In pajamas wearing a “Watermelon” or “Pizza” or “Donut” or “Snowman” print is, well, perfectly acceptable. Can serious work be accomplished dressed in “Sock Monkey” pajamas one might ask…the answer is “Yes” of course! So today, I’m celebrating Life in Pajamas.